Port of Burlington History
The Port of Burlington building was dedicated in October 1928 as Burlington's Municipal River Terminal. It was constructed on pylons, the same as a bridge, allowing the river to flow under it.
Here barges were loaded with coal by means of a conveyor. In the 1980's, razing of this long unused building was avoided when a plan for an adaptive reuse was devised. The plan called for converting the building into a raised pavilion for picnickers and sightseers. Fundraisers were held in 1986 with the work being completed in 1987. The State of Iowa announced plans for a Welcome Center in Burlington, and in 1988 the center opened here. The Port of Burlington Welcome Center achieved the State of Iowa's "Primary Welcome Center Status" in 2001. The Port of Burlington is now a hub of activity all year around.