Our rich historic architecture is one of the principal reasons that people choose to visit, open businesses, an live downtown, so it is vital to maintain and improve the building stock. The Downtown Partners Design committee works to encourage appropriate and attractive building upgrades through several programs.
Downtown Partners is looking for a worthy project in downtown Burlington!
Please note that there can be no deadline extensions, and we are not not guaranteed funding in this program.
• August 11 - A one-page summary with project title, address, description, and proposed funding sources and uses is due to to Downtown Partners at email@example.com.
• August 15 – The Downtown Partners board will select the project to be brought forward to the state level of competition and notify submitters of the outcome.
• September 29 – Downtown Partners will work with the principals to submit a full proposal and application to the Iowa Economic Development Authority by this date.
• November – Announcement of awarded projects by IEDA
• December – Project commencement (NOTE - No costs incurred before contract or project commencement can be included as part of the grant.
• December 2019 – Project must be completed
Design Assistance Program
Since Burlington is a Main Street community, downtown property owners are eligible for design assistance from Main Street Iowa at no cost and no obligation. The Main Street Iowa design consultant works with property owners to develop maintenance plans and façade upgrades for buildings in the downtown district. Along with architectural renderings of possible improvements, the owner receives suggestions regarding signage, awnings, paint colors, and appropriate care. For more information, download the application and call Downtown Partners at 319-752-6365 about scheduling a design visit.
Additional grants and loan programs for building improvement may become available throughout the year.
Heritage Trust Historic Preservation Grant
The local non-profit Heritage Trust has established a Historic Preservation Grant for exterior preservation, restoration, or rehabilitation projects within the city of Burlington for properties that are at least 50 years or older. It can provide up to $5,000 in 1:1 matching funds. The Heritage Trust Grant Committee reviews grant applications in February and August and selects which projects to fund.