2018 Main Street Challenge Grant
Iowa’s downtowns are prospering with an expanding number of business, residential, and cultural investments. To continue this momentum, the Iowa Economic Development Authority has announced the 2018 Main Street Challenge Grant for bricks and mortar projects.
Main Street Iowa communities, including Burlington, may apply for the Main Street Challenge Grant. Eligible projects must be within Downtown Burlington. They can include building rehabilitations, facade improvements, new construction, or reuse projects. Plans will be locally judged on preservation standards, architectural significance, and impact on the community.
The maximum dollar amount to be awarded will be $75,000 with a minimum award of $15,000 per project. A minimum 1:1 match is required. Other federal or state grant program awards may not be used to satisfy the cash match for the project/property. Main Street organizations may apply on behalf of one project/property.
Downtown Partners is looking for a worthy project in downtown Burlington!
Interested applicants should carefully read the Project Proposal form.
• August 17 - The completed Project Proposal form and photos are due to Downtown Partners
• August 21 – The Downtown Partners board will select the project to be brought forward to the state level of competition and notify submitters of the outcome.
• September 21 – Downtown Partners will work with the principals to submit a full proposal and application to the Iowa Economic Development Authority by this date
• November – Announcement of awarded projects by IEDA
• December – Project commencement (NOTE - No costs incurred before finalized contract can be included as part of the grant.)
• December 1, 2020 – Project must be completed
Design Assistance Program
Since Burlington is a Main Street community, downtown property owners are eligible for design assistance from Main Street Iowa at no cost and no obligation. The Main Street Iowa design consultant works with property owners to develop maintenance plans and façade upgrades for buildings in the downtown district. Along with architectural renderings of possible improvements, the owner receives suggestions regarding signage, awnings, paint colors, and appropriate care. For more information, download the application and call Downtown Partners at 319-752-6365 about scheduling a design visit.
Additional grants and loan programs for building improvement may become available throughout the year.
Heritage Trust Historic Preservation Grant
The local non-profit Heritage Trust has established a Historic Preservation Grant for exterior preservation, restoration, or rehabilitation projects within the city of Burlington for properties that are at least 50 years or older. It can provide up to $5,000 in 1:1 matching funds. The Heritage Trust Grant Committee reviews grant applications in February and August and selects which projects to fund.